From county-wide random surveys to short community surveys, focus groups and many community meetings, over six hundred voices were heard in Mower County to reflect what health concerns on top on folk’s minds.
Here’s the top ten that surfaced:
• Use of illegal drugs
• Unhealthy eating habits
• Obesity among adults
• Lack of exercise (physical activity)
• Alcohol use by underage
• Obesity among children
• Parents with inadequate/poor quality parenting skills
• Abuse of over the counter and prescription drugs
• Adolescents becoming sexually active
• Children and adolescents unsupervised after school
A heavy list of concerns but this is only the first phase of the work. Next, groups met to determine how to reframe, exploring root causes of the concerns and what to say YES to rather than focus on the problem. It was through this second phase that the direction of focus was stated for the 2016 Community Health Needs Assessment:
Build healthy and resilient communities
We asked the question: if a person was surrounded by environments (spaces and people) that encouraged health and resiliency (inner strength, a growth mindset) would _______________ likely be an issue for them? The answer repeatedly was no or it would be likely significantly less.
So what’s next?
• We look in the communities of Mower County to see who is doing the work of creating healthy and resilient
communities (classrooms, worksites, departments at work, schools, businesses, organizations, community
initiatives…) that positively impact the ten health concerns listed.
• We seek to grow more of what is showing promise, effectively outcomes, and sustainable impact.
How can you engage?
• Contact us to let us know of individuals or organizations that are positively impacting any of the ten health concerns listed. Simply email us at email@example.com or message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MowerRefreshed
• Invite us to share with organizations you are connected with about the CHNA and strategies we are using to
respond to the needs.
We depended on you to drive the direction, now we depend on you to be our “county connection” to what is working. Help us #GrowMowerGood with you!
For the full 2013 CHNA and most recently 2016 CHNA click here http://mowerrefreshed.org/health-measures
The direction is set!
EQUIPPING communities to grow sustainable wellness solutions
EMPOWERING people to create a culture of wellness where they live, work, play and learn
Website by DH Consulting