• Builds self-confidence in students.
• Develops a student’s written and oral communication skills.
• Students learn valuable problem-solvingskills by applying the scientific method. There will be several events and resources available at the Austin Public Library this science fair season to assist both students
(and parents) with science fair projects. A list of these events are provided below.
Saturday Science School Events
• The Scientific Method – You Have to Have a Plan
Saturday, November 19 at 10:15 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. at the Austin Public Library.
Students will see some fun experiments, learn about the Scientific Method, and be able to take home an experiment to try on their own. The same program is held at both times.
• Science Fair Boot Camp for Parents
Saturday, December 1 and 5 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Austin Public Library
• Hypothesis and Experiment – Guess and Test
Saturday, December 10 at 10:15 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. at the Austin Public Library.
Students will learn how to form a hypothesis and conduct an experiment for the science fair.
The same program is held at both times.
If you are a parent who wants to support their child in participating in the STEAM
Expo but don’t know how, this event is for you. We will take you through the science
fair process, teach you about the scientific method, and equip you to help your student
with their project. The same program will be held on both dates. Parents only need
Participation in these events is not required for a student to participate in the 2017 STEAM Expo. Please contact Catherine Haslag at ScienceFairMentorMN@gmail.com or 507-438-6084 if you have any questions about these events. You can also learn more about this program by visiting our website at www.sciencefairmentoring.org.
“This project was made possible in part by funding from the Minnesota Department of Education through a Library Services and Technology Act [LS-00-16-0024-16] grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.”
EQUIPPING communities to grow sustainable wellness solutions
EMPOWERING people to create a culture of wellness where they live, work, play and learn