Whether weight loss is a goal or not, you could start learning how to cook and how to make cooking fun! I have put together a few things that may help reignite your love of cooking and food in a world filled with drudgery and negative food messages.
Not sure how to get started with family meals?! Consider the following ideas to help you find a family meal structure that works well for you.
• Play some good music as you create your masterpieces – Music makes everything better! If you would normally dread cooking supper, consider adding some tunes to spruce up your attitude. Moving makes cooking more fun!
• Make trying new foods a fun experiment – no pressure! – Research shows that if we feel pressure from others or put pressure on ourselves to like a new food, it can actually instill negative emotions that may affect if we like the new food or not. Trying making a new food a fun experiment but no pressure!
• Repetition – Even if you don’t like the new food (especially when trying vegetables) don’t just make it once. Keep trying it! Research shows it may take 12-17 times of trying new food to learn to like it.
• Don’t make all new foods – Try only one new food at a time. If you make a whole meal of all new foods and don’t like them… you will not be having fun.
• Give yourself plenty of time – It will not be fun if you choose a busy night to make a new food. Make sure to give yourself lots of time to experiment and learn as you cook.
• Set the mood – Do you take the time to set the table? How could you adjust where you sit, lighting or even location? Our atmosphere while eating can determine our mood and food preferences. Be creative to make the setting visually appealing.
• Don’t go it alone – Who we prepare and share a meal with is important! Cooking could be a fun time to include kids and friends. Consider who makes you happy and invite them over to cook and eat together!
EQUIPPING communities to grow sustainable wellness solutions
EMPOWERING people to create a culture of wellness where they live, work, play and learn