The Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP) of Mower County is thankful and happy to introduce Chris Weis as the new Community Health Specialist and SHIP Coordinator for Mower County. Her role will be to continue to partner with organizations to increase access to healthy foods, promote active living and reduce tobacco exposure.
Thanks to SHIP of Mower County, we are observing:
• increased access to fresh, local fruits and vegetables at farmer’s markets in the county
• increased access to physical activity opportunities and healthier foods at schools and child-care facilities
• expanded access to biking and walking paths throughout the county
• provision of hydration stations in both schools and local business to encourage everyone to drink more water
• action steps to make multi-unit housing sites smoke free support for breastfeeding moms
• both small and mid-sized employers working to improve workers health and productivity SHIP promotes long-term, sustainable movements through policy, systems, or environmental change. Chris is available to provide technical assistance, explore funding and resources for anyone in Mower County with a healthy initiative idea.
A healthy community creates an environment for all residents to live longer, healthier lives.
There is still work to be done and Chris is already connecting to community wellness initiatives. She will continue the partnerships with organizations to increase access to healthy foods, promote active living and reduce tobacco exposure. Chris is available to help you and your organization find new ways to create a healthy culture that can be continued for years to come.
Article submitted by Jane Knutson, Mower County Health & Human Services
ENGAGING in efforts making healthy choices easier in Mower County EQUIPPING communities to grow sustainable wellness solutions EMPOWERING people to create a culture of wellness where they live, work, play and learn